Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

How can I check if my pet’s details are up to date? Contact National Pet Register’s 24/7 call centre on 1300 734 738 with your pet’s microchip or green ID tag number on hand. If your pet’s microchip is registered with National Pet Register, we can check and update your contact details over the phone. If your pet’s microchip is registered on another national microchip register, we will provide you with the name and contact phone number of the microchip register for you to contact them directly.

How many animal microchip registers are there and does my pet have to be on more than one?National Pet Register is one of seven national and state-operated microchip registers within Australia. Individual microchip numbers should only be recorded on one of these databases.

National microchip registers

National Pet Register 1300 734 738

Central Animal Records 03 9706 3187

Australasian Animal Registry 02 9704 1450

Petsafe 02 8850 6800

State microchip registers

New South Wales Companion Animals Register 1300 134 460

Global Micro Animal Registry 02 8338 9063

Homesafe ID (Queensland) 1300 537 140

All microchip registers grant access to each other’s databases to recover owner details for lost animals, however updating the information needs to be done directly with the microchip register your pet is registered with.

I have misplaced the paperwork with my pet’s microchip number. How can I obtain the microchip number to update my pet’s details or check which microchip register my pet is registered with? To obtain your pet’s microchip number, visit your local vet clinic and they will be able to scan your pet for the microchip number. It may also be worth contacting the vet clinic beforehand, as they may have recorded the microchip number on your pet’s file — saving you and your pet a car trip!

I had my pet microchipped in NSW but now I live interstate. How can I update my pet’s details?All cats and dogs microchipped in New South Wales will be registered with the state’s dedicated microchip register, the NSW Companion Animals Register. We recommend that when a pet owner moves from NSW, they register their pet’s microchip on a national microchip register. Pet owners can contact National Pet Register 24/7 on 1300 734 738 and a Customer Service Operator will arrange for a registration form to be mailed to you. A one-off small microchip registration fee applies.

I have several pets and their microchip numbers are held on different animal microchip registers. Can I have the microchip numbers transferred onto the one microchip register? Once a microchip has been registered it cannot be removed or transferred to a different microchip register. You can choose to register your pets microchip again on another microchip register; however, unless it was registered on a state-based register and you have left that state, we recommend registering your pet on one microchip register only. This reduces the risk of contact information not being kept up-to-date.

How can I update my pet’s microchip details if he/she was not registered in my name? If your pet is not currently registered in your name and you require the ownership details to change to reflect you as the owner, you will need to follow a ‘change of ownership’ process. To begin this process, you need to contact National Pet Register on 1300 734 738, between the hours of 8am and 10pm. A small administration fee applies to change of ownership services.

Can I update the details of my pet on behalf of my partner? In order to update your pet’s details on National Pet Register, we will need to speak with the registered owner, even if you are listed on the owner’s record as a secondary contact. There can only be one registered owner on a National Pet Register record and only they can update contact details.

Do I have to notify my local council if I have moved address? Yes. If you have moved address and remain within the same municipality, you still have to notify your local council. For those pet owner’s that have moved address and are now living in a different municipality, you will need to contact your previous council and your new council, notifying them both of the change.

If I update my pet’s contact details on the relevant microchip register, does this automatically update my details associated with my council?No. Your pet’s microchip registration and Council registration are two different registrations, with two separate organisations. Therefore, updating your details on a microchip register does not update your details with your local council. Pet owners are advised to contact their council directly to notify them of any changes.

Does updating contact details for one pet’s microchip registration automatically update contact details for all my pet’s microchips? No. Pet owners must update contact information for each pet individually. This is because your pet’s microchip registrations are not necessarily linked together; they may have been microchipped at different times, registered under different family members names or even registered with different microchip registers.

How do I know if my pet has been registered on a national microchip register? After your pet was microchipped, you should have received a microchip certificate in the mail a few days later. The microchip certificate will list your pet’s microchip number, your contact details, your pet’s details and the name of the microchip register.

I have arrived from overseas and wish to have my pet’s microchip number placed on an Australian microchip register. What do I do? Contact National Pet Register on 1300 734 738 and a Customer Service Operator will arrange for a registration form to be mailed to you. This form will direct you to any local vet clinic where you will need to have your animal scanned by an authorised implanter to verify and sign off on the microchip. A small one-off registration fee applies. You will also receive a free National Pet Register collar ID tag.